Monday, February 9, 2009

Harlow Cuadra's Trial: What to Expect Here

Harlow Cuadra

Assuming there’s no further delay, next Tuesday (February 17, 2009) is going to be a big day for all who follow this case: Harlow Cuadra's murder trial will finally begin.

I've already talked about what’s likely to happen during the trial. Here’s what’s likely to happen here on this blog: I'll do my best to present information that’s true, relevant and timely.

That word ‘true’ is first, because I’d rather post some snippet of info days after everyone else already has... if that’s how long it takes me to verify the truth of it.

Blogs are different than other media. At a newspaper, the people who put together the editorial page are set apart from the people who just gather and present facts. Here, there is no such firewall... that means that part of what I do all day is gather facts, analyze information, form an opinion, test them out, then present the results to you.

Whether you find veracity in my opinion depends on how much truth you find in my facts. If you can’t grant credibility to this blog when it reports facts, then necessarily you cannot find insight in my opinion.

I strive to perform both functions well, because opinions without truths are worthless. Likewise, truths without analysis are merely stale anecdotes.

So that’s what I seek to do here. I want to tell the truth as quickly as it can be discerned. I’m confident that that’s what my readers want. That’s what I’ve tried to do up to now, and it's what I intend to do during the days forward.

All of my trial reports may not be 'scoops', but they will be as true and timely as I can make them.

While I don't plan on attending the entire trial personally, I will be there on several occasions (first being 02/26-02/27), and I'll have reliable sources there daily.

I should also note: from February 19th - 23rd, I'll be in Anchorage, Alaska. Considering there's a 4-hour time difference with Pennsylvania, there may be a small delay in reports during this time, but I'll do my best to ensure that any delay is as minimal as possible.