Showing posts with label Forfeiture. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Forfeiture. Show all posts

Saturday, October 6, 2007

To Believe... or Not To Believe [Redux]

Joseph Kerekes

After listening to the video feed from the Times Leader several times, Joseph Kerekes is clearly heard blaming the detectives in Virginia Beach for seizing his, and Harlow Cuadra's money and property. The questions is ... who's telling the truth when it comes to the actual dollar amount?

The Citizens Voice quoted Joe as saying "I'm very angry they took $200,000 of our money"; while the Times Leader also reported that Joe said police seized $200,000 and property from him and co-defendant Harlow Cuadra for no reason.

Yet Virginia Beach Court records clearly show that they only took $26,585.25 in monetary funds:

Virginia Forfeiture

What happened to the other $174,414.75?

Did two separate newspapers get the same quote wrong, or did Joe mistakingly add a '0' ?

Perhaps it's like the story Joe just recently posted on his own blog ( or someone acting as him ), stating that they had 40 computers:


What's odd is VA seized only 2 computers and 5 monitors. Were's the other 38 computers? Perhaps Mamma Kerekes cleaned house really well:


- PC

Friday, August 17, 2007

The House of Cards

Both Harlow Cuadra and Joseph Kerekes have been given their 1028 Stratem Court residence back from the Commonwealth of Virginia - due to lack of equity. Is this a blessing for Harlow and Joe... just another burden... or do we even care?

The reason I ask is because real estate prices, and sales have dropped significantly since the duo bought the 'love shack' back in October 2005:



The current assessed value of the residence is around $542,000. Sounds great since they only owe around $530,000 right? It could be an easy $12,000 or more for attorney fees some will exclaim. Well probably not.

Let's take a look at the last 3 homes that have sold in the very same neighborhood:



1021 Stratem Court was assessed at $494,500 - sold for $480,000
1000 Stratem Court was assessed for $215,000 - sold for $512,000 ( The original assessment was for land only, then a brand new house was built, and the land value still dropped $35,000 )
1025 Stratem Court was assessed at $514,500 - sold for $469,000

Additional homes that were bought and their assessments:

1005 Stratem Court was sold for $534,000 on 8-17-05 and is now assessed for $498,500 for fiscal year 2008 - down from the $542,000 for fiscal year 2007.

1009 Stratem Court was sold for $545,000 on 02/07/06 and is now assessed for $520,500 for fiscal year 2008 - down from the $546,400 for fiscal year 2007

There is a brand new house for sale in the neighborhood ... asking price is $489,900.


I don't know about you... but there seems to be a pattern here. If it can be sold for more than what's owed... good job indeed.

The house is not currently listed in the MLS, but there have been rumors that a private buyer is interested. Guess we'll see.

- PC

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Update: Wilkes-Barre Newspaper Picks Up Story of Forfeiture

Latest Update (9:10 pm): Senior Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Scott Alleman has now cleared up any confusion about whether or not the Virginia RICO charges could still be pursued at a later date. Responding by email this evening, he says, "Criminal charges are still a possibility, but we thought that the murder in PA obviously took precedence so we will wait until the PA trial is over to make a decision about charges."

----
The Citizens' Voice newspaper in Wilkes-Barre has apparently noticed the tale of how Virginia grabbed hold of Harlow Cuadra’s and Joe Kerekes’ assets and gave them a good shake, a story you first read here last month.

The paper’s Sunday edition quotes a lawyer from the Virginia Commonwealth Attorney’s office: “This is all stuff we seized in accordance to our criminal investigation here,” said [Senior Assistant] Scott Alleman, the attorney who prosecuted the forfeiture case.”



Cuadra’s lawyer was also questioned regarding the house at 1028 Stratem Court: “It’s unknown how much, if any, profit the two could get for their home, but it will be better than nothing, said Cuadra’s attorney Scott Flax, of Virginia Beach, who handled the forfeiture process.“It helps,” he said. “They’ll have an asset to sell to get some money.”

Alleman disagrees, indicating that “the duo was given back possession of their home’s title because it would have been an expensive and lengthy process to take it and there was a hefty mortgage left to pay."

Asked about the so-called conspiracy to deny Cuadra and Kerekes money to retain lawyers in their murder case, Alleman flatly denied it.

“The reason we didn’t file charges in Virginia is because the murder in Pennsylvania took precedent. We didn’t want to get in the way of Pennsylvania,” he said.

There’s no word on whether those Virginia charges are just on hold, or whether they won’t be pursued at all.

-KM

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Harlow's House Redux & Some Serious Charges

Harlow Cuadra’s self-appointed ‘Angel of Truth’ has now confirmed what we reported here two weeks ago: that the Commonwealth of Virginia has decided to stop forfeiture proceedings on the house Cuadra owned along with fellow murder suspect Joe Kerekes.



At the time of that earlier story, there were angry denials from Cuadra’s former ‘bloggist,’ but today a new spokesperson for Cuadra posted the following to HarlowCuadraOnline.com: “The Document for them [Cuadra and Kerekes] to get the house has been signed by both Harlow and Joe, but needless to say they are loosing [sic.] all of there [sic.] other property to get back this one thing, the state refused to give them back anything else....

“We will hope that the house will sell for something to help pay anything to the attorneys, anything is better then nothing!


As we reported in July, the house may indeed be worth less than nothing. Publicly available credit records show that, as of now, Harlow and Joe owe approximately $533,400 in primary and second mortgages on the 1028 Stratem Court property. Those records also indicate that primary mortgage payment is 30 days past due, while the second mortgage payment is 60 days overdue.

Clearly, only a quick sale at a premium price will turn the house from a liability to an asset. That’s why the house was to be returned, according to law enforcement sources, speaking last month on condition of anonymity— there is “little, to no equity” in it.

In today’s long statement, the Harlow camp makes other remarkable comments, as well, including sharp criticisms leveled at Virginia authorities for their handling of the forfeiture case, and another utterly outrageous allegation: that the incomplete forfeiture proceedings led to a Catch 22 wherein Harlow and Joe were somehow adjudged too wealthy to qualify for public defenders in the murder case in Pennsylvania, yet still had all of their assets in state hands in Virginia, thus unavailable for use retaining private counsel.

That latter charge of denial of counsel is a serious one— as such a combined action by the Commonwealths of Pennsylvania and Virginia would be, of course, in total contravention of all court rules, procedures, laws and Constitutional precepts. Such a move by the State—on its own— could constitute reversible error in the Pennsylvania prosecution.

In fact, the ‘Angel’s’ allegation describes a move so extreme and so far outside of ordinary legal practice that one is perhaps excused for wondering if he or she is not somehow mistaken about it.

-Both PC and KM contributed to this story.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

New Info: No Blessing In Sight

Harlow Cuadra and Joe Kerekes are not going to lose their half-million-dollar house in Virginia Beach after all—or at least, not to the Commonwealth.

In a remarkable reversal, Virginia state prosecutors are poised to back away from plans to seize the home on Stratem Court, according to a law enforcement source close to the Virginia state RICO investigation. The Commonwealth has been looking into what they say was a prostitution and money-laundering operation that Cuadra and Kerekes ran for several years and has been busily freezing all of their assets.

But it seems that due to Cuadra’s and Kerekes’ other debts (including a second mortgage on the home in question) the house holds “little to no equity” to be seized. In short, the home where the accused killers lived before their May arrests is just not worth the Commonwealth’s time to take away.

As posted previously on this blog, credit records show that the jailed pair owes nearly a million dollars in mortgages, auto loans and credit-card bills. But that didn’t keep Virginia authorities from entering the Stratem Court house and carting away everything from plasma TVs to a necklace that dangles a tiny golden cross—all of it taken when Cuadra and Kerekes were arrested on murder charges earlier this year.

Authorities had originally planned to take everything else of value, as well: the bling, the computers, “the hot tub and everything attached to it.” But they're passing on the house.

The lack of equity in the house casts gloom on the defense funds that both men's families have been loudly touting online. In fact, Harlow’s 'bloggist' Renee wrote online about a coming ‘blessing’ just this week. If news of the return of the house is what she’s been awaiting, she will find it to be a blessing that’s terribly well-disguised.

So perhaps Harlow and Joe and Renee and the rest can celebrate... but only for a little while. Word is, the house that Boybatter built is going back to the bank anyway, and if convicted, the young men who lived in it still face life in prison.

Update: This story was edited on 28 July to correct an error of fact.

-- Both PC & KM contributed to this story.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Harlow Cuadra & Joseph Kerekes Forfeiture hearing update...

The next scheduled date for the forfeiture hearing is August 29, 2007 @ 9:30 AM.

Guess I won't have to post more updates on this subject for a while, that is unless a settlement is reached.


Wednesday, July 11, 2007

07/11/2007 Forfeiture Hearing was removed from the docket... complete items list:

There was no hearing today in regards to the forfeiture case against Harlow Cuadra & Joseph Kerekes as it was removed from the docket.

The hearing was removed from the docket today because the Commonwealth Attorney has not heard back from Harlow & Joe's attorney's. Another date will once again be set, unless a settlement is reached.

Here's a complete list of items seized for forfeiture ( Case: CL07003398-00 ):

HP 19" LCD COMPUTER MONITOR
DELL LASER PRINTER
DELL 15" LCD COMPUTER MONITOR
APPLE IPOD 80 GB
APPLE MAC PRO 3 COMPUTER
APPLE SEMA 30" HD MONITOR
TOSHIBA LAPTOP W/CASE
$26,585.25 U.S. CURRENCY
SONY CAMCORDER W/CASE
ZENITH 50" PLASMA TV
2 GOLD/DIAMOND CROSSES
KOGI LCD COMPUTER MONITOR
LIQUID VIDEO 15" LCD COMPUTER MONITOR
BOSE MEDIA CENTER
2 BOSE SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS
2 POLK AUDIO SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS
VOLK RACING RIMS SET OF 4
HONDA S-2000 HOOD
HONDA S-2000 FENDERS (2)
HONDA S-2000 SPOILER
HONDA S-2000 AIR FOIL
HONDA S-2000 SEAT
HONDA S-2000 CAR COVER
BRAVO DVD BURNER
ONKYO RECEIVER
ONKYO 6-DISC CD CHANGER
CANNON EOS DIGITAL CAMERA W/ CASE
CANNON DIGITAL CAMERA
LOUIS VUITTON BAG
GOLD BRACELET
2 GOLD CHAINS
1 PAIR GOLD CUFF LINKS
OMEGA SEAMASTER STAINLESS STEEL WATCH
TAG HEUER MONZA STAINLESS STEEL/LEATHER WATCH

Note: The $26,585.25 US Currency listed is a combination of money they had on their person, in their house, and in the bank. Actual bank names are not listed in seizure filings.

This does not include items that may have been seized for the criminal case in PA.

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Harlow Cuadra & Joseph Kerekes Forfeiture Case has been set for trial

The Forfeiture case against Harlow and Joe has been set for trial. A pre-trial hearing is scheduled for 07/11/2007:



Update 07/10/2007: Here's a copy of the docket for the forfeiture hearing on 07/11/2007 (case CL07-003398), the Honorable Stephen C. Mahan will be presiding:



The hearing that is/was scheduled for 07/09/2007 was the Forfeiture of the 1028 Stratem Ct. residence. This hearing is not listed on tomorrow's Circuit Court docket, so I'm not sure if that's still going to occur - am hoping for an answer to that some time later today.

Update: 07/09/2007: The hearing scheduled for today, 07/09/2007 was removed until a date certain is chosen ( basically the Virginia Beach Commonwealth Attorney and Cuadra/Kerekes' attorney's agreeing on a date ).

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Harlow Cuadra & Joseph Kerekes hearing updates... ( again )...

Updated: 07/06/2007:

The Administrative Hearing has not been continued... but rather finalized/removed because it was just a control date to make sure the Gov.'s warrant was served, which it has, and if PA had picked them up, which they haven't. Now we only wait for PA to come and get Harlow and Joe, which should be soon since no other control dates/hearings are scheduled for the extradition, and the matter is considered 'closed'.

In a nutshell: It was basically a 30 day review date to find out if PA was coming for sure. The court was assured by the Commonwealth Attorney that they would be coming, but didn't publicly provide an exact date for security and safety reasons.

Administrative 'Hearing' scheduled for 07/06/2007:

The administrative hearing on 7/06/07 is about the extradition, but not an actual hearing. It is only a control date to check the status of extradition ( if PA has picked them up ) and will likely be continued for 30 more days or so:










Forfeiture Hearing scheduled for 07/09/2007:
This is a control date to be set for motions... again dependant on Harlow & Joe's attorney's getting with the Commonwealth Attorney about dates. ( otherwise it'll likely be continued ):



If you want my personal opinion ( and I stress 'opinion' )... I don't think the forfeiture hearing delays have been caused by the Commonwealth Attorney... but have rather been used as a stall tactic by the defendant's attorneys. Stall or not, I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome is still the same... and that is Harlow and Joe will lose their assets.

I'm also starting to have some doubts about statements being made on Harlow's newly revised blog:
http://handjtrial.blogspot.com/2007/07/once-again-motions-hearing-for-harlow.html

Monday, July 2, 2007

Once again the motions hearing for Harlow Cuadra & Joe Kerekes on 7/3/2007

Here's a copy of the Civil Court docket for tomorrow's motions hearing on the Forfeiture of Property ( the presiding judge will be the Hon. William R. O'Brien ):










It's been mentioned on Harlow Cuadra's blog that the hearing has been delayed (again) to July 6, 2007... I haven't been able to confirm this as of yet, but wouldn't be surprised.

Update 07/04/2007: The Forfeiture Hearing has been continued to July 9, 2007:










Updated 07/05/2007: A little odd that whomever is behind writing Harlow's blog would make a mistake on one of Harlow & Joe's business names: "Batterboys" instead of Boybatter (It's since been changed to the correct name)... just an interesting observation, and nothing more.









The pre-dated posts for donations are quite nice as well:



Update 07/06/2007: The boybatter website update appears to be nothing more than a banner/link to Citiboyz Theater ( a different site ):



And now this statement from 'Harlow' that no one posted anything about his Administrative Hearing today... guess his folks don't read my blog... shame:

Friday, June 29, 2007

Would the real Harlow Cuadra please stand up?

UPDATE: I have edited a few things, as new information has just come in, and I'm getting conflicting reports as to whether Harlow was in the Navy or not. I expect to have a 'final' answer soon, but until then, I'm going to retract my original assertion. The following however is known as fact:

Harlow's known employment data includes:

Norfolk Companions
Vice President
Virginia Beach, VA
Date Hired: 09/2001

Norfolk Campaigne
President
Date Hired: 10/1998








Harlow & Joe also have over $395,755 in past-due debt... (not including the house) guess that would explain the lack of money for an attorney. ( out of fairness, this would include some of the vehicles seized):

(vehicle amounts owed under Harlow & Joe's name are averaged)
AMERICAN HONDA FINANCE: $20,000
BMW FINANCIAL SERVICES: $43,000
CHRYSLER FINANCIAL: $64,000
GMAC: $95,000

If you include the house, credit cards, cars, second mortgage, etc... their total debt is over $927,000.00 ( that's a lot of debt ). Makes you wonder about their thinking the Corrigan deal could make them a million dollars as stated in the affidavit.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Harlow Cuadra and Joseph Kerekes are going to Pennsylvania...

Harlow and Joe will be heading to Luzerne County under the extradition order approved by Gov. Tim Kane to face murder charges, along with a slew of other charges:

PA Charges for Harlow
PA Charges for Joe

No Habeas petition was filed by Kerekes/Caudra on the issue of extradition and they conceded that they had no legal basis to object to the extradition, so they will be going to PA as soon as PA wants to come down and pick them up

Meanwhile the Commonwealth of Virginia has scheduled the asset forfeiture motions hearing for 07/03/2007:

Monday, June 25, 2007

Extradition set for June 27, 2007

BREAKING NEWS: 6/27/07 @ 4:33 PM:
No Habeas petition was filed by Harlow Cuadra / Joseph Kerekes on the issue of extradition ... and they conceded that they had no legal basis to fight the extradition ... they'll be going to PA as soon as PA comes to get them. ( obviously there will be much more information coming up shortly ).

UPDATE 6/27/07 @ 11:20AM: The asset/forfeiture motions will be 07/03/07 @ 9:30AM.

UPDATE 06/26/07 @ 8:20PM: Here's the docket for tomorrow's extradition hearing ( the presiding judge will be the Hon. William R. O'Brien ):











While we're waiting... here's some information about the 1028 Stratem Court residence that Harlow Cuadra and Joseph Kerekes may lose:











Here's a link with more information about the neighborhood:
www.leadingedgerealty.com/Birdneck%20Woods.htm